Sunday, November 06, 2005

warm hands update

The first @#$%^! mitten is done! I will call this the "3rd time's a charm (sort of) mitten". I knitted the thumb gusset . . . you guessed it . . . 3 times; the first time I just plain lost where I was, the second ended up wrong because of what I consider to be ambiguously written instructions and the third was correct. I finished the hand of the mitten only to have it be too short when Daughter tried it on . . . frogged back, added a few rows for lengthe and then decided to do a more toe-like mitten top and reknit it. Daughter tried it on, and again, too short. The toe used less rows to finish so it ended up being the same length as the first time. I frogged back, knitted a few more rows for length and reknit the hand a THIRD time. This time it fit. Knit the thumb and the stinking mitten was finished . . . woohoo now I get to knit a second one . . . aren't I lucky. While at my daughter's soccer game on Saturday morning I was really wishing I had a pair of my own mittens. So after the game I went and bought some purple Cascade 220 so I can start on the Hermione Mittens (and Hat). Yes, I know they are supposed to be red, but my name isn't Hermione and I like purple. I also picked up the yarn to make Hubby a Slytherin PoA Scarf, not that I think he would be in Slytherin, the colors just suit him better. I went to Great Yarn because I know they carry the Encore that is recommended in the pattern, only they don't. They carry the Encore DK and Chunky, not the worsted, they carry Patons Decor. So, I bought Patons Decor, same fibre content and the colors are close enough for gu'ment wurk. ;)

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

That's a fine looking red mitten! The next one should go fast since you have three times the experience now :-)

11/07/2005 12:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful mitten! 3 times frogging is 3 times better.
I hope to knit th Hermione mittens, as well. I can't wait to see yours!

11/07/2005 05:17:00 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Those cable/bobble mitts will be beautiful!

11/07/2005 11:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mitten looks great and just think, with all that practice, the second one should be a breeze. I'm looking forward to your Harry Potter knitting.

11/08/2005 06:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home