Tuesday, October 25, 2005

that's my bag, man

I found hubby's socks that I started last year and discovered that for some strange reason I had cast on way too few stitches and I need to restart them . . . sigh. I got about 2" of 4x2 ribbing done and put them down. I think I am socked out, for now. Saturday I went to Acorn Street, once again looking for the perfect yarn for daughter's sweater. No luck on that front, but I did manage to come home with yarn for a hat for hubby's aunt and a felted bag pattern. The shop had a sample knitted up and it was so cute, had to have the pattern, this will be my 'holiday gift' pattern this year. Since my mom does a lot of red/black/gray I decided that would be what I would do the bag in, I have a TON of Cascade 220 in varied shades of gray, black, and red in my stash so I wanted to pick up a varigated red/black/gray. I stopped at Village Yarn to see if I could find said varigated yarn . . . nothing in all that beautiful Manos . . . hmmm . . . nothing . . . nope not here . . . not over here either. Darn. One of the wonderful employees said she had used a Noro like that for a project she had done. We looked all thru the Noro, no luck, but she offered to go and look in the back room. Success! The laaaaaast skein. (think Ice Age)

So that night I started the bag, I knit the bottom and on Sunday started up the sides. I decided to use a double strand of the Cascade 220 since it is a lt weight Worsted and that is what the pattern suggested. I dropped one of the strands of the black 220, added the Noro and knitted away blissfully while hubby and I watched SG1: season 1 on DVD (love Netflix). That is until I got here: Well, this isn't the look I was going for . . . shoot . . . ripit . . . ripit . . . ripit . . . Decided this time I would drop both strands of the black 220 and pair the Noro with a strand of red 220:

ah . . . much better. By the end of the evening I was almost done with the body of the bag. Woohoo, gotta love those quick knits.

Mondays my hubby works an early shift (4a to 12:30p) so when he got home he said he would watch the kids and I could go out. Didn't hve to tell me twice! I grabbed my knitting and ran out the door and drove straight to Village Yarn & Tea where I sat and knitted and drank some wonderful Green Pear tea. There I sat, knitted, drank tea and chatted with the gals who work there until they closed at 6pm. (with only occational breaks for yarn fondling) I was able to finish the body of the bag and do the I-cord bind off, I had never done this before and was a bit nervous about it, but it turned out fine.

I'm still working on the I-cords for the handles but here is what it looks like so far:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your bag. Soon, you'll be felting away.

10/25/2005 01:45:00 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

That looks good. I wish I could "see" things ahead of time. I have trouble with the future vision. You make it sound so effortless. :)

The trip to the knitting store sounds like a mini vacation. Very nice.

10/26/2005 12:42:00 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Bag is looking really good! Can't wait to see it felted.

10/26/2005 04:24:00 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Thank you for writing a comment on my blog. "Järbo garn" is a swedish brand. I don´t think you can find it in the states. Homepage: www.jarbo.se Send an e-mail and ask if they´re selling the yarn outside Scandinavia.

www.catrinr.blogdrive.com

10/27/2005 07:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for looking at my socks. You have almost inspired me to work on my Kristina felted bag again.

10/27/2005 11:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see how those colors look felted up!

Village Yarn & Tea was on my list of shops of visit, but we couldn't fit it in our schedule. Maybe on the next trip in December!

10/27/2005 11:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colors you've chosen for the bag. I look forward to seeing it felted.
Thanks for the nice comment on my blog!
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

10/27/2005 01:09:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Much more colorful! Can't wait to see it in when it's all felted up.

10/27/2005 02:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home