Sunday, October 16, 2005

stash enhancement

My dear friend J. asked me earlier in the week if I thought I could divest myself of the kiddos at some point in the near future as she needed to go yarn shopping and thought it would be fun if we could go together. So, yesterday after my daughter's soccer game, I ran away. I needed to make a few stops before I got there. I stopped at the drugstore and picked up a new can opener, my son disassembled my current one and I have been unable to put it back together. While I was at there I wandered over to the magazines and found the new Knit It! and Family Circle Easy Knitting Holiday issue. They both have some great patterns, especially with the Holidays coming up. Then I went to JoAnn to return some yarn I had buyers remorse about. After picking up J., and giving her a copy of the new Knit It!, for which she jumped up and down and clapped her hands while squealing, we headed out to Acorn Street for stash enhancement. I was looking for yarn for a specific project for my daughter, needed to be a wool blend in a girly color that would knit up to 2.5 sts=1". I found some beautiful soft pink GGH Aspen, it is a 50/50 blend of merino and acrylic, very soft, and lists as 10sts=10cm. Needless to say I bought it. J. did some holiday stash enhancement. After said SE we were weary with hunger so headed over to Top Pot Doughnuts for fortification and to browse thru our knitting magazines. Last night while watching SG1: season 8 from Netflix, I proceeded to cast on a sleeve with my new acquisition . . . size US13 needles, cast on 22 and knit . . . hmmmm . . . this is to gauge but the fabric is really loose . . . ok, rip out . . . size US11 needles, cast on 22 and knit . . . hmmm . . . nice fabric but gauge is off . . . shoot . . . darn . . . now what? I can monkey with the pattern and knit it at 3sts=1" or I can return the skeins I haven't used and get something else . . . darn it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

I wouldn't use the yarn for that project unless you are very comfortable with messing with the entire pattern to adjust width and length, including areas of decrease. Now, if it's a hat or a scarf or something relatively curve free or simply shaped, go for it. Otherwise I'd either return it or set it aside for something else. No need pulling out hair if you don't need to, right?

10/16/2005 07:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home